Saturday, February 5, 2011

C4T #1 - Ira Sokol

"Linking conceptual and historical research with real, on-the-ground, investigation and trial of best practices, allows me to create a unique way of looking at our educational systems, both formal and informal."

"I believe in engagement, in reaching out globally, in participating in all possible conversations. I believe that engagement strengthens my ability to assist both pre-service and in-service teachers in reaching their goals, so that they can enable all of their students."

-Ira Sokol

My C4T assignment was to Mr. Ira Sokol. Above are two quotes by him that are listed on his blog. I think both of these quotes are important and show that he knows was good education is.

The first blog that I commented on for this teacher was about a teacher that he had when he went to New York public schools His teacher had become ill and he was reminiscing on what a great educator he was and how much he had contributed to not only to his education, but education in general. He explains the importance of good educators and this is what I had to say:

My name is Brandin Brosh and I am a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. I am an education major and I think that education is a gift and something that people should value. I like that part in your blog where you say, "Be the best educator you can be, and damn the rules, the common cores, and the mandates." Too often teachers get so caught up in what they are "required" to teach instead of teaching what should be taught and what is important. If every educator strived to be the best educator possible our education system wouldn't be the way it is today.

I hope Alan Shapiro gets well soon. We need all of the good educators that we can get.

I have been assigned to follow your blog for one month and after the month is up I will be writing a blog on what I have learned.
You can follow my blog at broshbrandinedm310.blogspot.com
Our class blog is
edm310@blogspot.com
Also I am new to Twitter and still trying to understand everything on there but my Twitter address is @brandinmb

In the second blog post that I commented on he spoke on universality. The point I think that he was trying to make is that no two students are alike. All students have different learning styles and what works for one student may not work for the next. He explains the importance of a diverse curriculum and this is what I responded with:

I agree that universality is very important. All students learn differently and therefore you should compensate for each student. You may not be able to compensate each lesson for each students but it is possible to have a diverse curriculum to support each child's different learning style. Technology is changing and our classrooms should change with it. However, technology is not the only way to learn and some students will still learn will pen and paper or the traditional note cards. No two students are exactly alike and it is important as educators to know that.

Ira Sokol

No comments:

Post a Comment